IMPORTANT CHANGES TO CALL STIPENDS AND VACATION REQUESTS
The 2011-2013 agreement between CAHO and PAIRO was settled in September – they are currently working to draft a new agreement which will be distributed as soon as it is completed and signed by both parties.
Effective immediately, please implement the following changes, in addition to the current rules:
1.Where the resident works a shorter In-Hospital Call, OR where a family medicine resident works an emergency shift:
- Home Call Stipend is paid where the call shift does not extend beyond 11pm and
- In-Hospital Call Stipend is paid where the call shift extends beyond 11pm.
2. Home Call Stipend will be paid where residents are required to round on weekends when they are not otherwise on call, and actually attend in the hospital.
3. Home Call Stipend will be paid for each call when the resident arranges to work a full weekend or three 24-hour home calls.
Where the resident arranges to work more than 3 consecutive home calls they will be paid to the maximum allowable amount in the agreement.
4. When the resident is required to work a morning clinic and then an emergency room shift, they will receive:
a. The Home Call Stipend if the shift does not extend beyond 11pm
b. The In-Hospital Call Stipend if the shift extends beyond 11pm.
All vacation requests must be submitted at least 30 days before the proposed vacation dates and may be made at any time throughout the year, even after March 1st, EXCEPT where vacation time is being taken to write a certification exam, which may be requested at any time including within the 30-day period before the exam.