The Paul B. Helliwell Centre for Medical Education is the home base for Wightman-Berris Academy students at the Toronto General Hospital. The Centre was made possible through a generous donation from the Paul B. Helliwell Foundation.
A feature of the Helliwell Centre is technology which allows for observation and recording of interactions in the examination rooms for teaching and learning. Each examination room is equipped with two cameras that allow students to digitally capture and record in-room interactions. Each examination room has an interactive touch screen that allows users to manipulate cameras, volume, recording times and save recorded videos to a secure server.An observation corridor between examination rooms can be used to view the interactions through one-way glass windows and sets of headphones allow observers to listen to interactions.
- Rooms 025 & 026 (separate)
- Each accommodates 40 – 50 people in theatre style seating, and has a projection screen and a flat screen monitor
- Rooms 025 & 026 (combined)
- Accommodates 100 people in theatre style seating
- Examination Rooms (Eight total)
- Each room is equipped with an interview table, a desktop computer, a sink, examination table and equipment and a discrete observation gallery
- Seminar Rooms (Eight total)
- Equipped with conference tables
- Seminar Rooms 1 & 2 (combined): accommodates 40 people
- Seminar Rooms 1, 2: each can accommodate 20 people
- Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8: accommodates 10-12 people
Educational and Conferencing Equipment
The large classrooms and all the seminar rooms are equipped with:
- Podium and touch-control pad
- Internet-equipped computer
- LCD projector, or a TV-screen connection for display
Additionally, microphones and teleconferencing equipment are available through the Audio-Visual department at Toronto General Hospital.
- A computer lab is available to medical students. It includes access to internet and printing capabilities. The computers in the lab give students access to the UHN Intranet site.
- The Helliwell Centre has a spacious student lounge, with additional computers, phones and a fully functional kitchenette.
- Harvey Simulator.
Contact Us and Directions
The Helliwell Centre is located in the Eaton Wing of Toronto General Hospital, just inside the Elizabeth Street entrance of the hospital. Toronto General Hospital can be accessed from the west side (via University Avenue), from the south (via Gerrard Street) or from the east (via Elizabeth Street).
To contact staff at the Helliwell Centre:
Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street
Eaton Wing, Ground Floor, Rm. 001
Toronto ON M5G 2C4
Main Line: 416-340-4846